Thursday, July 22, 2010

Coming soon...


I'd like to officially announce Weird Adventures--a supplement based on (and expanding upon) the world of the City that I've been discussing here for many a post.  What you see above is the tenative cover design, featuring a painting by Doug Stambaugh.

The supplement will be geared toward the generic "old school" game, but feature mostly setting material usable for any game system.  I'll probably get into more detailed rules-related digressions here on the blog.

Planned contents include:
  • A guide to the City giving a map and an overview of its five baronies, numerous neighborhoods, and places of interest to adventurers.
  • A whistle-stop tour of the strange New World from the rural Smaragdine Mountains inhabited by hillbilly giants, to the occult witchocracy of glamorous Hesperia, and a whole continent in between.
  • A monster manual detailing about two dozen creatures from "bugbear" (of the living nightmare variety) to "zombie, black-dust."
  • Several adventure seeds for the setting.
In addition, it will feature great artwork from the aforementioned Doug Stambaugh, Chris Huth, Seth Frail and others.

I'm tenatively planning for a late fall release.  More details to come...

26 comments:

Tim Knight said...

Excellent pulpy cover (with the obvious homage to the old AD&D PHB). Can't wait to read more about this project - good luck!

Daddy Grognard said...

Yeah, the cover itself is worth the price of admission.

Brutorz Bill said...

Excellent! Love the homage cover. Best of luck with this!

Jay said...

Awesome! :D

Jim said...

Looking forward to it!

Chris said...

*tips back fedora, takes drag on cigarette*

"Ya done good kiddo. It's almost enough to restore my faith in human nature."

Stefan Poag said...

And a bargain at 10 cents a copy!

Love the cover painting.

netherwerks said...

Congratulations and I can hardly wait to see this!

Unknown said...

A thing of beauty. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Hot damn! Best of luck, Trey! I look forward to the release of this game. WOW!

James said...

I was hoping you would do this! :)

Matthew Slepin said...

Late fall? But I want it NOW!

Trey said...

Thanks guys for all your support. It was everyone's interest that made me think this was a worthwhile endeavor to begin with.

I'm really pleased as well with Doug's cover painting. Exactly the homage to the PHB and pulp covers I wanted. Of course, Jim Shelley's able assistance with type and logo designed helped a lot.

Matthew, I'd be glad to give it you sooner, if I thought I'd be done. :)

Shane Mangus said...

Very cool! Love the concept, and the cover is inspired. I have no doubt you will turn in a great game.

Trey said...

Thanks, Shane!

Dan said...

That's fantastic news!

I'd suggest reconsidering the name though, to avoid confusion with Weird Fantasy Role-Playing (Lamentation of the Flame Princess). The setting in that is also called the Weird New World.

Maybe 'Strange Adventures' instead?

Tom Fitzgerald said...

Firstly, congratulations Trey. I am excited about this. It is so good to see you following this thing through. I really believe you'll have hit on your hands. This is what the OSR is about -the establishment of a vernacular for inspired people to take in funky directions.

@Dan: I think in both contexts the use of the term Weird refers to a particular subgenre of pulp fantasy popular in the early 20th century. Strange doesn't mean something quite so specific.

Trey said...

@Dan - Thanks! Tom explains it well--"weird" has an aptness in this particular context (a fantasy subgenre of the pulp era) and also in regard to the literature of the "New Weird"--like VanDerMeer, Mieville, Lake, and others who have influence here. "Strange Adventures" is also the name of a comic published by DC.

@Tom - Thanks, Tom for your support and encouragement as this idea has grown.

Anonymous said...

I can't find the pre-order button!

Trey said...

Patience, my friend. ;)

satyre said...

*tips his fedora forward and raises the chipped mug with a generous measure of bourbon*

"This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship..."

Looking very nice indeed. :)

Trey said...

Thanks, Satyre. And a Casablanca reference is always appreciated. ;)

John Matthew Stater said...

Very glad to hear that this will be published - it's some of the strongest game material I've ever seen.

Trey said...

Thanks, Matt. That means a lot given the quality of your Land of Nod material.

The Lord of Excess said...

Awesome!! Eagerly await its release!!Indeed that cover is ultra classic and the concept is really intriguing as well!! I'm in for a copy or three when it releases!

ze bulette said...

Looks great Trey!