Thursday, June 22, 2017

D&D Style

Which is more you?
As anyone who has read this blog for any amount of time (there's got to be someone!) knows, I don't not have one style, tone, flavor, what have you of D&D that I want to do all the time. The Land of Azurth is a bit whimsical and perhaps silly. The earliest setting I blogged up was perhaps reasonable standard if more rigorously rationalized "serious wordbuilding" D&D fare. If touched on more survival horror sort of setting riffs, and hope to one day finish a horror-tinged, pirate adventure (In Doom's Wake). This is to say nothing of the highly variant settings like Weird Adventures.

In other words, I like my D&D sort of like I my TV and music: eclectic. The at the table experience with me probably doesn't vary quite as much as my writing about them might suggest (getting a group of people around a table pretending to be elves with funny voices tends to engender some degree of humor), but they are not identical.

My time in rpg related social media has suggested that a lot people have a style/tone or at least a narrow range of style or tone they tend to like in their game. People are probably more tolerant for one shots than longterm campaigns of course, and probably have broader tastes in what they play in than what they run.

I confess I envy this a bit. I feel like avoid the siren's call of a new setting is hard enough, but add in a new or long ignored style or tone and it gets even harder! I feel like I could stick with a campaign longer if I knew what my favorite flavor was.

3 comments:

Scott Anderson said...

Do a meta-campaign. Plan out a setting and make up a little document explaining what it is for your players. You don't have to actually do a campaign. You can set it aside and do another!

Dr. Theda said...

Lots of assorted Undead and the nastiest Creatures that we can find... have to start most players off at low levels (1st level would die too quickly)..

Simon J. Hogwood said...

This sounds like the perfect opportunity for a world-hopping campaign ala Sliders, Stargate, Spelljammer, or some combination thereof.