Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Wednesday Comics: Classic Star Wars: Devilworlds #1-2

If you ever wondered what an Alan Moore Star Wars story would be like, this two issue limited series from Dark Horse (and released in digital format by the current licenseholders, Marvel) will be enlightening. Devilworlds reprints stories from various Marvel UK titles from 1982.  Besides Alan Moore, it features work by the likes of Steve Moore, Steve Parkhouse and Alan Davis.

The stories don't quite feel like Star Wars--or at least, don't feel like Star Wars of 2018 or even 1999. How they would have read in 1982, when there were only two films and a Christmas Special, who can say? Today, they feel much more like stories from 2000AD archives or Doctor Who Magazine, which isn't surprising given the writers did work for those titles.

Allow me a couple of spoilers to illustrate. In "Rust Never Sleeps" Artoo and Threepio end up on the Imperial junk planet of Ronyards, and encounter a droid cult that worships a scrap god. In "Tilotny Throws a Shape" (with art by John Stokes) Princess Leia and a group of pursuing Stormtroopers have a strange encounter with group of extradimensional or spirit beings (they would be a good portrayal of the Fair Folk in Exalted) who have vague grasp of the concepts of matter and time.


If this sounds like the sort of off-kilter Star Wars you can tolerate, then you'll be glad to know the issues are a mere 1.99 each on Comixology.

4 comments:

Jack Guignol said...

The art in Tilotny Thows a Shape is amazing. Although the one were Chewie is more of a Bigfoot is also a frontrunner for my favorite.

Trey said...

Yeah, I like a more hairy hominid Wookie, though I know that isn't canon.

Aos said...

The Goodwin/Infantino run absolutely captures the spirit of 77 as it were-so I think you’d know it if it were there. Lucas like goodwin so much he had him replace Manning on the newspaper.
Of course, I was 11 in 77 so my perspective is probably different.
That’s right mother fuckers, no spoilers Star Wars on the big screen- at 11.

Trey said...

Fair enough. I'm not as confident I can project back to what my 10 year-old self would have thought, nor can I be certain that my 10 year-old self had a perception of Star Wars I would think is accurate today.

I'm not sure when I saw the original Stars Wars in theaters, though it was likely '78 or '81 release, rather than 77.