Wednesday, July 8, 2020

To Boldly Go


Not for the first time since I started writing this blog over a decade ago, I am playing on running a Star Trek game. After some indecision, I've decided to use Star Trek Adventures. I was initially put off by some of the mechanics, but after watching some play videos and reading a good bit of the rules, I think it's a niffy system. Good enough to give a try, at least.

My idea is to run the game in the so-called "Lost era," specifically the time between the original series and the movies. If we follow the Okuda timeline, that would be around 2270. The characters will be the crew of a refitted Constitution class starship, the U.S.S. Endeavour (NCC-1895), sent on a five-year mission of exploration. The design of the ship will predate the ST:TMP refit, allowing me to use the abandoned design for Star Trek: Phase II, which is sort of the "missing link."


ST: Phase II, for those that don't know, was the proposed tv show they were working on before Paramount decided to use the script for the pilot to make a movie. It's aspects reflect a distinctly 70s Trek as the production art shows.

Anyway, it I'm looking forward to it. If you are interesting in reading more about it, Star Trek Phase II: The Lost Series by Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens is the best place to do that.


No comments: