Thursday, October 21, 2021

Hearing the Owls Hoot in the Day Time

 


Owls Hoot in the Day Time & Other Omens was the title of the 2003 collection of Manly Wade Wellman's John the Balladeer/Silver John stories from Night Shade Books. I have long been a fine of these Appalachian-centered fantasy stories (they were an influence on Weird Adventures). Recently I bought the audiobook of this collection for a work trip. I probably have read these stories in nearly 20 years so it was fun to revisit them and the narrator is just right for the material.

3 comments:

Dick McGee said...

Pure gold, every bit of this. How so much of Wellman was ever allowed to go out of print is utterly beyond me, but it sure does help explain teh crappy state of traditional publishing these days.

SF said...

Huh. Owls Hoot in the Daytime was FREE on Audible for me -- but it seems like it's volume FIVE of the "selected short stories"?! And the others, alas, are not free.

I'm kind of torn, because I don't know when I would get around to listening to 5 volumes' worth of short stories. I'd buy them in reasonably priced print or eBook in a heartbeat. I do have the Silver John print short story collection from maybe 15 years ago? Not the same as this one. That was great stuff.

Trey said...

The different volumes are different characters. This volume is the complete Silver John stories.