Monday, June 29, 2026

Nimble and Goblins


My gaming group got together last night and did our first session of our Parsulan campaign using Nimble. Basically, we completed character generation and did one combat to try out the rules. A faerie beloved by a village they happened to be stopped in is kidnapped by goblins and the party went after them. They took out about 10 of them, but the group with the faerie got away.

The system worked pretty well. Despite our unfamiliarity, it certainly went faster than 5e would have.

Besides the Nimble rules, the players used the Local Experience tables I had come up with for the various important places. These are the characters:

g'Mbalisto (Tug): A dwarf Oathsworn (a Paladin, essentially) from the Lightbearer Republic. He's also been a gladiator in Mayura in the past.

Pan(demonium) (Gina): A darkling Songweaver (bard) from the Durendine Confederation. A forrmer rabble rouser and busker.

Frea (Andrea): A human (thought changed into a more felinoid form by a curse of a wizard of Abraxad) Cheat (thief). 

Tamarra (Kathy): A human Shepherd (a cleric, more or less) from the Lightbearer Republic. Her parents died in the Kakharoth Wastes.

Aelarion (Bob): Human Stormshifter (the stuff people like about the druid). He's from a small town near the Dagard Mountains.

5 comments:

Dungeons and Possums said...

Always up for more Parsulan content but I've never ever heard of Nimble before this! Guess I have some reading to do...

Trey said...

I should have dropped a link: https://nimblerpg.com/

Brutorz Bill said...

Please share more of your thoughts on Nimble, I haven't picked it up, but was thinking it might be a solid alternative to 5.5 which I need a break from...

Trey said...

I like it so far. It's simpler (and quicker) than 5e but with comparable character options and heroic combat: characters get 3 actions per round to use as they will inclusive of attacks, movement, and reactions. Attacking more than once means the 2nd attack is usually at disadvantage, though. Attack and damage rolls are combined so you only miss on a damage die roll of 1.

There is no AC. Armor reduces damage, but only if you take the Defense reaction, which you can only use once per round.

Spell selection is less than 5e and the spells are combat mostly focused, which is something some people like and others don't. It would likely be easy to add back in more utility spells and some members of the community have.
Monsters have simpler stat blocks and math some encounter building is easier. Their are also Minion rules which I like, and the boss monster special rules seem better than 5e legendary monsters in implementation, but I haven't used them.in play yet.

Brutorz Bill said...

Thanks for the detailed response. I prefer to run OSR systems, but the players are 5e folks, was hoping this might be a decent "meet in the middle".