In the City, human crime is ultimately controlled by the Hell Syndicate, though many criminals may never actually meet a devil--until, perhaps, they go to their ultimate reward. In other places, Hell’s influence is less direct, coming mainly in the form of consultation or aid to individual criminals. Make no mistake, though, anything that prays upon the moral weaknesses of mankind, enriches the Syndicate’s accounts.
Since the disappearance of Morningstar, there hasn’t been a “boss of bosses” of the Hell Syndicate, but the chairman of its board of directors is Asmodeus, of the Nessus family. Through a combination of persuasion and intimidation, he keeps the other bosses in line. Mostly.
The remaining eight infernal families, and their current bosses, are:
- Avernus family - Led by Andras “The Owl.” This family specialty is "murder for hire."
- Dis family - Run by Dispater. The Dis family is linked to the illegal arms trade worldwide.
- Minauros family - Led by Mammon. This family corrupts via greed, and keeps the Syndicate’s books, making sure the bosses of Hell get their proper percentages.
- Phlegehthos family - Their boss is Belial. They’re reported to run underground torture clubs, and gambling bloodsports.
- Malbolge family - Led by Moloch “The Bull.” Involved in extortion and protection rackets, and armed robbery.