Friday, December 31, 2010

Calendars & Girls

In the City, as in our own world, the wall calendar is a popular place for pin-up art. Major corporations, like car or tobacco companies, can afford to commission their own art and have their own unique calendars printed. Smaller businesses, eager for promotional items, turned to companies that produced generic items like playing cards, match books--and yes, calendars--featuring pin-up art, which could be imprinted with their own brand.

Brun & Bonnell were one such company, and they specialized in promotional items for expedition outfitters, gun shops, smiths, pawnbrokers, appraisers, and other businesses who catered to an adventuring clientele. One of their lines featured “women in peril” illustrations--in this case, pin-up girls in exotic locales menaced by monsters. Below is the preliminary illustration by the renowned artist Reno, which appeared in a 5887 calendar produced by Brun & Bonnell:


For those interested in the City’s calendar (beyond the pin-ups, of course):

The months of the year:
Shiver
Gelid
Bluster
Vernal
Floral
Midsummer
Swelter
Ripened
Harvest
Redfall
Erefrost
Aforeyule

And the days of the week:
Godsday
Loonsday
Pyresday
Wyrdsday
Stormday
Lovesday
Mournday

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah, calendars. An essential part of worldbuilding! Fine choices for your month/day names (I especially like Shiver, Bluster, Swelter, and Redfall).

Trey said...

Thanks. I find coming up with things like this difficult, but maybe I overthink it.

Clovis Cithog said...

I was less creative on my days of the week . . .

Sunday
Moonday
Twosday
Windsday
Thorsday
Fireday
Starday

Trey said...

Those seem pretty good to me. Like I say, I one can overthink things like this.

Anonymous said...

You are a criminal genius, such detail is really inspirational. I have an old graphic novel set in the pulp era that I have been itching to run, so really, I need to you finish Weird Adventures. Bit not before you put all of the cool stuff like this in it.

Trey said...

Thanks! I'll endeavor to do both as much as possible.