Thursday, January 31, 2013

A Bug of a Different Color

Here's another obscure Star Trek species for Starships & Spacemen:

NASAT
Encountered: 2d4 (5d10)
Movement: 90' (30')
Intelligence: Average
Psionic Potential: 4d4, inactive
Hits: 1d8
Armor: -2
Combat Skill: 12
Save: L1
Attacks: 1
Damage: By weapon or 1d4
Morale: 7
XP: 10

Nasat are short humanoids vaguely resembling Terran isopods. They are known to the Federation in the 23rd Century, but are not yet members.

Nasat average 4 ft. tall and have 8 limbs, but typically ambulate bipedally. Either of their upper pairs of limbs may be used as manipulators. Though they have an internal skeleton, they also possess thick plates of carapace that extend down their tails. Their integument is either green, blue, red, brown on yellow.  

These colors divide the Nasat into “shell-groups” which are geographically co-mingled but divide their society in a way analogous to kinship groups in human societies. Nasat have no other concept of kinship. or even pair-bonding. Mating is a casual affair, with no real associated emotion. Children are raised in communal nurseries  and shepherded through adolescence by minimal support from members of their shell-group.  

Nasat are cautious, often to the point of cowardice from the perspective of other species. They make poor fighters, but have a natural aptitude for technology and make excellent technicians and engineers.



Note: Em3Green was a thief and expert lockpicker  who appeared in the animated series episode “The Jihad.” His species was named and further members were introduced in the ebook series Star Trek: Starfleet Corps of Engineers .

10 comments:

The Happy Whisk said...

I saw the word bug and had to check it out.

Gothridge Manor said...

You're making me want to get Starships & Spacemen. Haven't done a sci-fi campaign in a couple decades.

Tallgeese said...

The episode with Em3Green (no relation to Col. green, thankfully) is one of my three favorites from the Animated Series, which was definitely under-rated. I may have to check out the STCE series. I didn't know they had created more backstory for this race.

The Angry Lurker said...

I need their help as I'm fecking terrible with electronics.

Trey said...

@Whisk- Heh. Different kind unfortunately.

@Tim - Hey, you've got GURPS--that's another great system for sci-fi.

@John - I just read it on the internet, but most of this apparently comes from there (except the shell-groups part, which was my addition).

@Fran - How do you feel about insects?

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey, she would be great in game. Scary noises and annoying sounds. She's got it all.

Trey said...

SHe's provided that in the background for some of our g+ games!

Canageek said...

Man, I have got to go back and read the novelizations I have of the Star Trek animated series again if there is cool stuff like these in there!

Pere Ubu said...

I haven't seen ST:TAS in ages, but I recall "Jihad" was one of my favorites, specifically for the aliens. I would like to see more!

You know, now that I think of it, a copy of Bjo Trimble's "Star Trek Concordance" would be a heck of a sourcebook for Starships & Spacemen. I may have to see if I can find a copy for cheap.

Trey said...

The Concordance remains a great book, though like with some many references of its type, it has been outstripped by the internet.