Monday, December 29, 2014

History, Real and Otherwise


Yesterday was the fifth anniversary of this blog. it started all right here. I don't know that anyone has been reading that long, but how ever long you've been coming here: thanks for reading.

I've done a number of setting riffs related to alternate history over the years. In case you missed them or just forgot about them, here's the list:

"Alien Underground": In a 1981 other than our own, Centralia, Pennsylvania was where the world became aware of monsters underground. An alternate history, modern day, conspiracy dungeoncrawl.

"The Weird Frontier": Put Gygax's whole civilization versus strange wilderness theme back where he got it: the American frontier. A Colonial era, points of light fantasy.

"Gods, Heroes & Super-Science": What if the Greek myths were real? And by real, I mean tales of Bronze Age humans having contact with Kirby-esque science fantasy, Chariots of the Gods-style. This one got a number of posts. A Greek mythology science fantasy for Mutant Future.

"The Muvian-American War": In the aftermath of the Spanish American War, a more arcane threat looms. An alternate history, early 20th century, Guns & Sorcery setting.

Pulp Space: The War of the Worlds was only the beginning. By the 1930s, occultism and alien science have taken the empires of Earth to other planets--carrying their volatile politics with them.This one got multiple posts, too, but it started here. A science fantasy, alternate Spelljammer.


11 comments:

Gothridge Manor said...

Congrats on completing five years Trey. It has always been a pleasure reading your alt histories and your taste in art. Well done my friend. Looking forward to Strange Stars!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Glad that you are still here, your blog is always a source of interesting ideas and discussion.

Kaiju said...

Congratulations on five "Strange" and "Weird" years! Best wishes!

Dr. Theda said...

Congrats... and here is to another 5 years...
have a great day... and remember that History is written (From their "biased" views) by the victors ...

Martin R. Thomas said...

Thanks for posting this - I'm digging catching up on some of your older posts that I missed the first time around. I didn't really start reading until around the time I started my blog in 2011.

The Weird Frontier sounds especially cool to me. I know that you posted that a few years ago, but recently there's been a cool comic book put out by Image called Manifest Destiny that I think you'd really like. It covers the Lewis & Clark Expedition into the West, but they uncover some... "fantastical" stuff, and part of their mission is to basically cover it up so as not to scare away potential colonists from settling the area.

Chris C. said...

Congrats on five years -- that's quite a stint in the blogging world! Keep on keepin' on, and stay strong!

The Happy Whisk said...

Five years is very, very cool. Congrats on the milestone and keep up the great work.

Trey said...

Thanks guys!

@Martin - I'll have to check that out.

Tallgeese said...

Congratulations on five great years! Your blog was one of the primary inspirations that got me 'abloggin, so thanks!

Aos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aos said...

Congratulations. I think I beat you by about a month, but you must have 10x the posts I do.