Friday, December 12, 2014

Holiday Special


The holiday's are quickly approaching and I haven't decided yet whether to run a holiday-themed adventure on G+ or not. I have done Weird Adventures sessions of that type in previous years, and at one time wanted to get my adaptation of Chris Kutalik's Slumbering Ursine Dunes done in time, but work on Strange Stars--and just plain work--got in the way.

Having started my Land of Azurth 5e D&D game, I've entertained the idea of running one in that setting. Something inspired by Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus, maybe with some further inspiration from Rankin-Bass other Santa origin, Santa Claus is Comin' to Town--a Winter Warlock, perhaps?

On the other hand, time is drawing nigh. I guess we'll see how the holiday spirit moves me.

3 comments:

Martin R. Thomas said...

Oddly, I've never read Baum's The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus nor have I see the animated special except a few bits and pieces here and there. It doesn't seem to be as much airplay as the other Rankin-Bass specials. Would you recommend it?

Growing up, Santa Claus Is Comin' To Town was my second favorite Christmas special (after Charlie Brown). I really liked the character designs, especially the very German outfits of the soldiers with the spiked helmets, and I also dug the Winter Warlock even though he really doesn't do much in the way of "magic."

I've always wanted to run and/or play in a holiday-themed RPG but especially with having a young daughter now, there just always seems to be another event or party to go to and there are no free days left!

Cheers!

Chris C. said...

Winter Warlock sounds super cool.

garrisonjames said...

Have you considred Santa Claus Conquers the Martians as another possible inspiration for a holiday-themed table-top extravaganza? It's weird and could serve as the inspiration for a fun 'Solsticecrawl' sort of thing...