Friday, September 25, 2026

Trapped In a Gray Town


I haven't posted about it in a while, but our campaign in Nimble continues.  

Since that last post, the party tracked the faerie kidnappers to the place where they had their ramshackle warmachine. The party defeated it (with fire, naturally) but then was confronted by the buff goblin leader who dressed like a masked wrestler, Grimbor the Battle-Brawler. He was willing to trade words instead of blows and told them that he had sold the faerie on.

They head back up the road to pick up the trail. When they travel into an area where the color appears leeched out of everything, they meet a halfling youth beside the road who is supposed to summon passing adventurers (if any) for help.

The go to the town of Baron Hill and spend the night in the less-than-quaint Dead Crow Inn. Still trying to pick up the faerie's trail, they here about a Necromancer (supposedly deceased), and go to have words with his last henchman who is now a hermit on the edge of town.

That guy, Grygor Dilvesh, lives in a cave by the river. A cave, as the party discovers, that he has filled with booby traps. Grygor isn't there, but Frea twice gets acid gas in the face trying to disarm a trap, and she and g'Mbalisto have a close escape form a spike-filled pit. Pan investigates the creepy scarecrow of a child, which turns out to be part of a fire trap.

They do get a bit of treasure out of it, but don't find a faerie or a Necromancer and the town is still gray.

Leaving, they awkwardly run into Grygor, the caves' owner.


This adventure is an adaptation of one written for 4e. I'm a bit unsure of the Nimble approach to traps in regard to mechanics, but I was able to wing it well enough.

4 comments:

gyrovague said...

Are you encountering an issue with the small number of spells (especially non-combat spells) in Nimble?

Trey said...

Not so far as we've just started, but I do have some concerns with the lack of noncombat spells.

Dick McGee said...

4e didn't have many non-combat spells either, so adapting an adventure from there shouldn't pose too much of an issue in that regard. OTOH, it did have a lot of magic rituals, which were intended to substitute for those missing non-combat spells. Actually worked pretty well for that IME if the table remembered they existed and were an option.

Does Nimble do anything along those lines? I'm not very familiar with the rule set.

Worst fantasy RPG I ever saw for "combat-only" spells was the old Everquest TTRPPG. I remember my wizard's only "utility" spell summoned a floating magical eyeball I could see through, so theoretically for scouting. Which would have been okay-ish if the stupid thing hadn't been something like 5' in diameter, so not exactly inconspicuous, and it didn't have the kind of range to use from a safe distance. After a few disastrous attempts to use it for its stated purpose we wound up making a prop crown of fake eyestalks and trying to disguise it as a beholder as a distraction or bluff. The GM hated the idea and hardly ever allowed it to actually do anything even against the dumbest of foes, but I still think we got mire use out of it than as a scouting tool.

Trey said...

No rituals, in the main rules, but I've thought about something similar to get around the lack.