Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Hassled by the Man

My Strange Trails download is nonfunctional for the second time in two months.  Suspended.

It appears all anyone has to do is say to Mediafire "take that down" and it goes down.  Last time it was a film company saying I was violating their IP related to a film of their's I had happened to review (favorable) on my blog.  The fact that there was absolutely nothing in Strange Trails relating to their IP made no difference--since of course nobody actually read the file.  I'm sure if was just an internet search then seeing a download and the assumption was dread piracy.

So this time, I don't even know what the complaint is--just the name of the company that made it (which is a non-American media company I've never heard of).  At least this time I'm given the oppurtunity of rebuttal--which would be great if I knew what I was rebutting.

I suppose its time to go looking for a new host.  It's just frustrating it doesn't even require an actual allegation, just the suggestion of one.

13 comments:

John Matthew Stater said...

That's crazy. Hopefully you'll find a better home for it soon.

Chris C. said...

I totally sympathize with your frustration. It makes you wonder what's going on in people's minds out there sometimes.

Harald said...

You are of course aware that piracy kills baby seals, aren't you? Tsk, tsk.

Trey said...

@Harald - But I can't be a pirate! I don't have the wardrobe (or nautical skills) for it!

James said...

Mediafire did the same thing with my self-authored file "Grimoires of the Pact Insidious." Apparently, there's a movie out there, named Insidious and even though my file was a small PDF, the movie people filed a complaint and Mediafire took it down.

Screw it. I was planning on a third draft anyway.

I've been happy with dropbox, so far.

Paul said...

Is it a DMCA take-down notice? This is useful.

Jeremy Duncan said...

That really sucks. Have you considered putting it up on Google docs or MegaUpload? I'm not sure what their policies are.

Trey said...

@James - I suspect it's something similar but since they don't say what it is I have no way of knowing what their particular beef is.

@Paul - It is. Thanks!

@Jeremy Duncan - Yeah, Those may be better options.

Pontifex said...

I will host it for you for free. E-mail me the file, Trey.

Trey said...

Thanks, Greg! I believe I'll take you up on that.

Porky said...

There's also box, and scribd of course.

http://www.box.net/

The Angry Lurker said...

These people are crackers and anal, good offer from Greg.

Trey said...

Thanks, Porky. More resources than I realized!

@Angry Lurker - As always, you sum it up so well. ;)