Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Warlord Wednesday: The Path Branches Ahead


Though we’re not quite at that point yet, there are some branches ahead in the trail, Warlord fans. Issue #71 is the last that bears the name of the series’ creator Mike Grell--though as I’ve noted before, since issue #53 it was actually written in part or in whole by Grell’s then wife Sharon Wright. Given that Grell returns to the character in a 1992 mini-series and then in a 16 issue on-going in 2009 (which brings an end of sorts to the saga), it would be reasonable to jump to reviewing those series after #71 on Warlord Wednesdays and view the remainder of the first series as apocrypha.

On the other hand, Dan Jurgens starts as regular penciller when the Grell’s are still writing it (#63) and continues through #93. If Grell is the Warlord’s father, Jurgens is at least an uncle. He’s responsible for a number of Morgan’s appearances in other DC Comics after the end of the series, and he drew the Grell written appearances of Morgan in Green Arrow (and apparently was instrumental in them occurring in the first place). Also, Cary Burketts stories in the near post-Grell period deal with important plot threads like the secret of Tinder’s origins and Tara’s relationship with Graemore, and introduce some cool new characters like Scarheart and Krystovar that seem to “fit.” Plus, I just think the "Time Paradox" and "New Atlantis War" storylines are cool.  Finishing all that would take us to issue #100.

The third option is to follow the series until its actual end. The last writer Michael Fleischer does have a Sword & Sorcery bent (giving a nod to the Clark Ashton Smith story “Isle of the Torturers”), but overall, the issues after 100 and until its end feel different that what came before. Part of it is more crossovers with the mainstream DCU, but also it just seems more like "generic fantasy comic" than Warlord. It’s not bad (mostly) and some of its pretty good, but its a new direction and less “of a part” with what went before.  But it is a part of the "official" series.

So it’s time for the mostly reticent Warlord Wednesday readership to make itself heard--if it exists, which the number hits I get on Wednesday’s suggest it does. I’ll probably put up a poll at some point, but I wanted to go ahead and throw the question out for comment. After #71, where does Warlord Wednesday go next?

14 comments:

The Angry Lurker said...

I have no problem following it to the end.

Jimmy Simpson said...

I never cared for the Fleisher issues, but I did like the issues at least through the next major story arc (the time travel/USAF-Atlantis).

But if you are going to go that far, you might as well follow through to the end.

Dariel said...

I've been a Warlord fan for quite a while, but don't have all the issues. So yes, I'd like to read more Warlord Wednesdays!

Trey said...

Thanks for the input.

@Jimmy - Your feelings on the serious pretty much mirror my own, it sounds like.

The Happy Whisk said...

Hey Trey. Thanks for stopping by today. Always nice to see you.

Yes, hot here today as well, but I gotta say, Big Ed (our air unit), is kicking butt.

Tim just stopped home for lunch and now I'm about to take Wiggy for a quick walk. Makes me appreciate Big Ed even more.

Cheers!

Trey said...

It's funny you've named your air conditioner. :)

Thanks for stopping by,

La Belle Esplanade said...

Please continue. You write these up very well. I'd hate for Warlord Wednesday to end so soon.

Best,
WK

netherwerks said...

Go with what strikes your fancy. You're doing a great job so far, so why not continue onward to the end?

Trey said...

Thanks for the feedback. guys.

Seems like the consensus is for the complete series. Rest assured though, whatever way I choose there's still plenty more to go. Even just the the Grell issues would keep me busy for a while.

Kilian Spector said...

'Til the end Trey. No retreat no surrender!!

Needles said...

Follow it till its end man! Its cool.

Anonymous said...

Getting on this post well late, but given how much I enjoy WWs I thought I'd comment: do it all. Regardless of the intricacies of who sits in charge, I cherish the Warlord tales for the batshittery they present, and the authority and humor with which you summarize them.

The fact that I get the hits in a blog already filled with incredible content is all the better!

Trey said...

Thanks for chiming in. I'll likely bow to the will of the poeple on this issue.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.