Tuesday, October 19, 2010

15 Games with Annotations

I rarely participate in these blogosphere trends (mainly because I tend to come to them too late), but here are the fifteen most meaningful games to me, not necessarily in order.  I've provided a little explanation for some of them, as well:
  1. D&D (mostly AD&D 1e, but also Moldavy/Cook, Mentzer, and 2e)
  2. Marvel Super-Heroes (probably the game I've played the most after D&D)
  3. GURPS (the game I've played the 3rd most, probably, considered all the different settings)
  4. Mayfair's DC Heroes
  5. Villains & Vigilantes (my first non-D&D game, and a frequently played one)
  6. FASA Star Trek
  7. Shadowrun (1st ed.)
  8. Talislanta (not much played, but always a favorite setting to read)
  9. Star Frontiers
  10. Empire of the Petal Throne (never played, but a setting I've always enjoyed and own virtually ever published supplement for)
  11. Gamma World (the third non-D&D game I played)
  12. HERO System (mostly, Champions)
  13. Call of Cthulhu (only played a few times, but it stoked my burdgeoning interest in pulp fiction)
  14. Doom (time was, I enjoyed a good 1st person shooter)
  15. Pool of Radiance (the only crpg I ever played for any amount of time--which wasn't much)

7 comments:

Chris Sims said...

I'm heartbroken that our three sessions of PATHFINDER didn't make it on the list.

Trey said...

Chris, how could I rank such a life-transforming experience here with mere games? It's another level entirely.

Aaron E. Steele said...

Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds are classics. Never played Doom.

Trey said...

Doom was--maybe the Halo? hard to know what the kids are into these days--of my college years.

Unknown said...

I still say the drinking game "Bullshit" is great. It should be on more of these lists.

Trey said...

It's funny you mention that, GC. I almost included "Asshole" the preeminent drinking game of my med school years, but decided against it.

Gothridge Manor said...

I've been seeing Talislanta a lot on these lists. A long time ago I bought a book, can't even tell you which one, so I may have to go dig it out of my box and check it out again. And it is good to see the Pool of Radiance on there. It was probably the first computer came that got our whole gaming group huddled around the monitor yelling out commands.